Saturday, July 09, 2005

The feet

For a while, as a blogger, I was trying to write little essay jewels. I'm not sure that's compatible with the spirit of blogging, or its demands -- a blog that rarely gets updated is a blog that rarely gets read. So I'm going to start trying to dash things off. Here's a start.

Feet are a big problem here in the subtropics, especially for men -- women aren't so bad off because they can wear open-toed shoes. Plus their physiology might make them less susceptible to bacteria; I'm not sure on that count. But I'll tell you what. At times I've had three seperate outbreaks of foot-fungus appearing at the same time on just one foot.

The standard stuff between the toes. A weird blister phenomenon on the arch, which eventually leads to peeled skin. And red itchy dots on the tops of my feet. My folk remedy, handed down through generations of DogsOfTheSouth, is to soak the feet in bleach solution then attack the bad spots with baking soda. Unfortunately, it's hard to find baking soda in Taiwan. Bleach has helped, but it hasn't solved the problem.

I know lots of people can understand what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hyatt:
oil of camphor works pretty good on ringworms. the "camphophenique" brand or it's chinese equivalent. you be proud to know i'm reading a NOVEL. you read any Paulo Coelho? I've developed a liking for him.
M.E. Starr