Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Note to media: we already got the word on the Barbie museum

I see that there's a Reuters story on the wires today about the town of Taishan, its vanished Barbie industry, and its Barbie museum. I just knew I'd seem a similar story in the Taipei Times a long while back. And an AP story from a long time ago too.

While we're at it, here's another Taiwan Barbie piece that I think is from the Taiwan Journal. On this site, there's a link to a Taiwan Barbie article that appeared in the Daily Telegraph (though I can't be sure if it's a story from yet another wire, or what). For good measure, here's something in Spanish from the GIO website, and here are two essays singing the praises of globalization vis-a-vis Taiwan Barbie. Maybe if I had Lexis/Nexis, I could find even more Taiwan Barbie stories.

I understand how hard it can be to generate story ideas. Still, any reporter now contemplating a Taiwan Barbie story should write instead about a wad of gum stuck to the sole of somebody's shoe.

2 comments:

Jellymister said...

Here, Here! I suspect the government is pushing this story. God knows why.

DogOfTheSouth said...

You may be right, Jelly, though I don't understand why either. And if they are, I don't understand why reporters are falling for it. I could work up some theories on both questions, quite vile and conspiratorial, but the story's just too damned boring to warrant the thought it would cost me.