Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Orange juice adventures

In the alley behind my office building, there's a small storefront selling fresh-squeezed orange juice. Actually, "storefront" is too grand a term -- it's just a home that happens to have street frontage, so they sell a little juice on the side.

The first time I bought juice there, the woman serving me was about a hundred and ten, and she didn't have change for my NT$100 -- which forced her to scoot down the alley at a very low velocity to get change from elsewhere. Today I risked going there again, only to be served by a man with a leg so bum that he had to bend down and support the knee with his hand as he tried to move around the "kitchen." He wasn't any faster than the old lady, though fortunately he didn't have to jog down the alley.

That's Taiwanese small enterprise in action. You never know what you're going to get, but finding out is half the fun.

No comments: