Thursday, August 18, 2005

Today's prize for journalistic incoherence goes to...

... this Taipei Times article, which has something to do with infectious diseases from China. The reporter and the copy editor seem to have conspired to make sure that no reader, no matter how curious and diligent, could have any hope of figuring out what the article actually means. And the headline is the biggest problem of all -- downright deceptive.

I scanned the article once, which should have been sufficient for me to understand it, but wasn't; then I scanned it again, which didn't increase my understanding at all; then I actually read the goddamned thing, which made me curse my first-grade teacher. If Mrs. Wheelis hadn't taught me to read, I wouldn't be wasting my time on this kind of drivel.

No comments: