Thursday, June 02, 2005

Any suggestions?

Here's US President George Bush at a recent press conference talking about Taiwan and China: "China is a -- obviously, there's tension on -- about Taiwan that we have to deal with. And I made my position very clear and very consistent about Taiwan. The Taiwanese understand my position; the Chinese understand my position. So, in this case, the relationship is one of helping to solve that problem, is to keeping stability in the region so that eventually there will be a peaceful solution to that issue."

Now my question is, do we understand his position? I thought I did during the beginning of his first term when he said on ABC News that he would do "whatever it takes" to protect Taiwan. Now, however, after Colin Powell's remarks in China last year, one is led to believe that the US and the State Department are reevaluating the Taiwan issue. I guess we're back to clear and consistent studied ambiguity.

No comments: